Saturday, March 29, 2014

Korean Cooking: Kimchi Fried Rice

I had a poll up on the upper left hand column of this blog wondering what you guys wanted to see more of and making Korean food was interestingly one of the more popular categories. I wanted to start off with something simple today. How to make Kimchi Fried Rice.






Ingredients: 
  1. Kimchi
  2. Rice
  3. Onions
  4. Spam
  5. Tuna
(Technically you can include anything you want to. My sisters personally really like this recipe but if you want more vegetables or don't like tuna, you're welcome to change up the ingredients.)

 1. Dice up your Kimchi into nice bite size pieces. Because I'm Korean, my grandmother always has homemade kimchi in the refrigerator but if you don't have access to kimchi, you can always find it in Asian supermarkets. I think I've seen it at Trader Joe's and Costco from time to time too.
2. Dice your spam into bite size pieces. Once again if you dislike Spam, you're welcome to put whatever you want instead of Spam. I know both Pork or ground beef work well with this recipe too. 
 3. Chop up your onions into bite size pieces. GAH it's so hard to cut onions without crying. How do you guys stop yourselves from crying when you chop onions?
4. Pour a little bit of olive oil onto a pan and fry your onions and kimchi first. You cook your kimchi first because it takes longer to cook than spam. 
5. Add the spam to the fry pan when the kimchi starts to turn a golden red color. 
 6. After a couple minutes, add rice into the fry pan. Stir the rice into the vegetable and kimchi mixture evenly making sure not to leave any rice without the fried ingredients. One trick to making good fried rice is to spread out the rice onto the fry pan after the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Change the heat setting to low and allow the bottom of the rice to get slightly burned. I personally think the slightly burned rice is nice and crunchy. It's the best part!
7. Lastly, serve onto a clean plate. If you want, you can add some crushed seaweed. I think a fried egg on top is also delicious. But my sisters don't like eggs so it's all based on personal preference.








SO... What do you guys think? If you do try it out, please tell me how it went! Should I continue with the Cooking series? Let me know your thoughts down below!

3 comments:

  1. It looks so delicious!! but unfortunately...I don't like kimchi /sighs/
    Yes yes I'd like to see more of korean cooking series^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you don't like kimchi? It's my absolute favorite! haha What Korean food would you like to see made? I'll take your personal favorites into consideration for the next Cooking series!

      Delete
    2. It tasted weird imo, I almost threw up the first time i ate it. Well I really like tteokbokki and kimbab!! :D

      Delete



blogger template by lovebird